Eggnog



   Now with Christmas just around the corner the preparations have started in full force in my house, this year though is a bit slow with the new addition in the family who smiles all the time and makes me cuddle her and kiss her all day long. It is going to be a special Christmas this year so I will try and make it magical.
    I always used to buy the eggnog but this year I have decided to try and make it myself and let me tell you it's a winner. There are a few things I think are a waste of time to make in the house (not saying you shouldn't) for example puff pastry, sometimes pasta, the fresh ones in the shop are good enough. But from now on I will make my own eggnog, even better I can have it all year around. It is a lot creamier than the one bought and you can control the amount of alcohol you put in it.

   - 350ml whole milk
   - 120ml double cream
   - 1/2 tsp cinnamon
   - 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
   - 1 tsp vanilla extract/ 1 vanilla bean pod split and seeds removed
   - 3 small eggs separated
   - 65 g caster sugar
   - 85 ml Dark Rum or Bourbon

   In a saucepan mix the milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla and nutmeg and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Once it starts to boil set aside.


   Mix the egg yolks and the sugar until light in color and creamy in texture. 


Slowly add the warm milk mixing until everything is combined.


Leave in the fridge for at least 3 hours or even better over night so that all the flavors combine. After mix the egg whites until soft peaks form then fold in the eggnog mixture. Continue whisking until everything is well combined.  










Comments